Inca Jungle Trek Peru – MachuPicchu Tour 3 Days + Return by Train
Inca Jungle Trek – this Inca Trail is a popular 3-day multi-activity tour to Machu Picchu. Biking, rafting, ziplining & trekking all add to the adventure! The Inca Jungle tour is an alternative way to get to Machu Picchu and engage in an incredible multi-activity tour. The tour is 2 days of hiking & biking with possible additions of rafting and ziplining before arriving in Aguas Calientes where we spend the night before ending the tour with the highlight of South America, the most famous tourist attraction – the site of Machu Picchu itself on day 3.
DAY 1 – Cusco – Abra Malaga – Santa Maria – Santa Teresa (biking and rafting)
Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner
Pickup at your hotel in the morning and we start our drive towards the Sacred Valley of the Incas, passing through beautiful valleys and inspiring scenery. After some hours we will reach Ollantaytambo and have a short break to have breakfast before continuing on by bus until Abra Malaga arriving approximately 10.30 am to 11 am and at an altitude of 4350 meters. It is from here that we will start our adventure with biking descending for about 3 hours whilst passing through rural villages, by rivers and streams and arriving at our destination Huamanmarca at around 1.30 pm to 2 pm.
We are next transferred by bus to Santa Maria (approx 30 mins) where we will have lunch and relax for a bit before beginning our rafting part of the trip (for those that chose this as an additional option when booking – this requires an extra payment when booking). The rafting lasts for about 2 hours and there will be a safety kayak accompanying the rafters at all times. Once the rafters have finished their fun on the river the group will take a bus to Santa Teresa (1 hour drive) and check in at the hostel for the night. Dinner will be served at a local restaurant in Santa Teresa.
DAY 2 – Santa Teresa – Aguas Calientes (zipline and trekking)
Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner
On the second morning, after breakfast, we will set off from Santa Teresa and those that have reserved the zip-lining (for those that chose this as an additional option when booking – this requires an extra payment when booking) will be taken to the starting point of this activity. After this they will be taken by bus to Hidroeléctrica. Those who are not participating in the zipline will continue hiking for about 3 hours until reaching Hydroeléctrica also to rejoin the rest of the group. Everyone will then have lunch and then the tour will continue with a trek along the Inca Jungle trails for a further 3 hours until arriving at the town of Aguas Calientes. Here you will be taken to the hostel at about 4pm and at night the group will be taken for dinner in a local restuarant whilst receiving a briefing about the following day tour to Machu Picchu.
DAY 3 – Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
We get ready around 4.00 am to walk uphill from Aguas Calientes to Machi Picchu – hopefully we can catch a wonderful sunset at the site.The ticket control entrance shoudl be passed about 6am and we will enter the site to see one of the wonders of the world. At the ruins your guide will take you on a tour of the site. We will visit enclosures, plazas, sacred fountains, temples, towers and he will explain the different functions of each area such as the agricultural and urban sections. The tour lasts for approx 2 hours and you will then have free time to explore the site yourself.
After spending some hours at Machu Picchu we unfortunately have to leave and the group will make its way down to the town of Aguas Calientes (You can walk or there is also a bus service for an additional cost) before taking the train back to Cusco. You must be at the train station at least 30 minutes before your train departure time and the train journey takes about 1 hour 45 mins to get to Ollantaytambo, where we will transfer to a private bus to take you back to Cusco.
- Transportation – bus to start of tour, train and bus to return to Cusco
- Mountain bikes (front suspension only), helmets and gloves
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Guide – English and Spanish-Speaking
- Pre-tour briefing the evening before tour
- Meals as indicated in description
- 1 night in hostel in Santa Teresa (shared rooms)
- 1 night in hostel in Aguas Calientes (private bathrooms and hot water)
- First aid kit and assistance in case of problems
- Last day lunch and dinner
- Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes and back down (optional)
- Personal Medical Kit – recommended
- Travel Insurance – recommended
- Sunglasses & Sun cream
- Insect Repellent
- Extra snacks
- Tips for guide
EXTRA OPTIONS – CLIMBING HUAYNA PICCHU OR MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN
Tickets for climbing up to the Huayna Picchu or Machu PIcchu mountain must be booked in advance when booking Machu Picchu tickets. If you want to do either of these (you can only do one) you MUST book this at the same time and it cannot be added on later. Please make sure you check availability before booking these as there are limited spaces each day.
WHAT TO BRING
- Original passport
- Hiking boots or strong footwear, waterproof recommended!
- A backpack (30 to 40L) with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
- Water bottle – minimum 2 litres or plastic bottle
- Rain gear – jacket + trousers or rain poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Warm clothes, including fleece jacket, for the first part of the tour
- Trekking pants, zip off model is recommended
- Sandals or jogging shoes for comfort
- Flashlight / headlamp
- Swimming gear for hot springs in Aguas Calientes
- Camera and waterproof bags for your camera
- Sun block
- Insect repellent
- Hand sanitizer
- Personal medical kit / supplies
- Extra cash for snacks, water and energy drinks to buy on the way
- Travel insurance